Wednesday 7 January 2015

DRIFTER - Violent at Altitude

Cover artwork by Monique Allan.
Every now and then I'm sent an album that just floors me. This is one of them. It's by an Australian group that melds punk rock with stoner and it's pretty unique. It isn't like Fu Manchu, or Kyuss's rather punky debut album 'Wretch', and it's nothing like the more stoner/punk hardcore bands or punk/doom crust bands, this is really its own thing and once you wrap your mind around what these guys are doing, it's terrific. The thing that stands out to me the most are the hooks.

A big thing with me is, I can listen to an album two or three times and enjoy it and think it's good, but if you can get just one hook into my head, I'll be going back to it for months or years on end. This album has several of those hooks, with "Cool Breeze" and "Another Life" being particularly memorable. If nothing else this album reminds me of Corrosion of Confromity's 2012 self-titled album which I listed as my most played (and therefore favorite) from that year. If you liked that album, and I know a lot of you did, there's a high possibility you'll like this one and fair warning ... you might even love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment